Feel like you’re not quite ready to brave the beaches when summer comes knocking on your door? There are 5 common mistakes made that are holding you back from achieving your summer goals.
- Realistic goals
- SMARTER Acronym (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time Bound, Expectations & Review) principle; I’m sure you’ve seen this countless times throughout early years of education. Yes it is simple. But, boy it provides structure, motivation and most importantly success.
- Structured training – Accountability
- By having structured sessions, with structured times that align to your goals you’re more likely to be motivated to stick to them. Training with no structure, or no plan may not accurately represent your goals.
- Diet is king – Eating in a deficit or surplus
- The most important thing when it comes to diet is eating in a surplus (eating more than you expend) or in a deficit (eating less than you expend). This should align with your goals, to either gain size (in a surplus) or lose fat (in a deficit).
- Identifying & keeping motivation
- Are you motivated by factors that intrinsic (internally motivating) or extrinsic (externally motivating)? Intrinsic factors may be your desire to win and compete for yourself, be the best you, or just simply feel good. Extrinsic motivation spurs from external factors, example: Compliments of how good you look or even that bit of extra drive from friends to get to the gym. By identifying what drives you, you can use this when in need of some extra motivation.
- Enjoy what you’re doing! Choose specific types of exercises/training that you enjoy. This will keep motivation high and spur you on to achieve your goals!
Address these 5 points and you’ll be on track in no time to achieve your goals this summer! Happy training!!!